Notification settings

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Fri Jan 7 15:14:15 CET 2011

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 05:55:21 -0200
Sergio Mira <shbm95 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, guys! Everything ok?
>
> I'm using XFCE 4.4 as default graphical environment on my Slackware
> 13.1.

No, you're not, unless you installed 4.4 yourself -- Slackware 13.1
shipped with Xfce 4.6.1.

> Well, about a week ago, I read that xfce4-notifyd-0.2.0 had been
> released. I wanted to install it, because of its functions, like
> volume control in progress bars.

You won't be able to build that on 13.1's xfce package set.

> I installed some packages and, among them, I installed
> notification-daemon-xfce, but this last conflicted with
> notification-daemon. So I want to uninstall notification-daemon-xfce,
> but I could not find it in the PKGTOOL's list of packages.
> Then, I removed everything about "notification-daemon-xfce" that I
> found in the system files.

You compiled it with 'make; make install' right?  If so, then why
would you expect it to be in the package list?  Besides, that's
the "old" notification daemon for xfce, and it's not maintained
any more -- you should be using xfce4-notifyd, which is already
included in Slackware 13.1

> But this is all (I did) a mess!
>
> Now, situation is complicated...
>
> In the XFCE configurations menu, I have two Notifications settings...
> One is called "XFCE 4 Notifications Settings" (this is the newer) and
> the another - the original - "Notifications". Both options are
> working! But in the original, I can't preview the configurations...
> When I try, I get this following msg:
>
> *Notification preview failed
> "Notification preview" failed to run issue process (File or folder not
> found)
> *
> What I want is to return to the original, like when I installed the
> system.

Undo the things you did, or else reinstall.

By the way, this is not an Xfce issue at all, and it's really not
even a Slackware issue - it's a local sysadmin issue.

-RW