Issues found w.r.t Power Manager

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Thu Feb 24 08:09:43 CET 2011

First, please try to quote properly, this mail was really hard to read.

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 09:38 +0530, Zenwalker wrote:

> > What do you mean by “its job”?
> >
> Like to put off the display or sleep the computer or any power
> management
> job its configured to do.

Display off is lead by DPMS settings. So if you're indeed running
xscreensaver then it might be the problem. It doesn't touch anything
else.

>  If what you're using is xscreensaver, it will reset the DPMS settings
> > what's configured inside xscreensaver.
>
> I have disabled the screensaver. So when i lock the screen, its just
> goes to
> blank screen.

I don't think you disabled xscreensaver, I think you just asked it to go
to blank screen. There's an advanced tab with power management stuff.

> Because then the xfpm DPMS settings are re-enabled.
> >
> Its good that these settings are not disabled. Or atleast be
> re-enabled when
> screen is unlocked. Right?

They are not.

>  Again, xflock4 doesn't do anything.
> >
> > What you can do is check the output of xset -q.
>
> For my test case, XFLOCK is the entry point right. But i dunno whats
> behind
> the scenes.

Then find out? Check what is installed, what is running?

>  Any ways when i should check for xset command?

Run it before, during and after screensaver activation (use ssh from
another box or switch to first console). Run xset -q and what is
important is the values at the end:

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

Here they are disabled completely. Check for your install if it's set to
what is set in xfpm or in xscreenaver at the various time.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis