Which VoIP program do you use?

Mișu Moldovan dumol at xfce.org
Fri Feb 18 20:50:55 CET 2011

Al Bogner <xfce at ml093.pinguin.uni.cc> a scris:

> Am Fr, 18 Feb 2011 15:25:47 CET schrieb Bela Markus:
>
> > My choice is
> >
> > http://www.linphone.org/
>
> At first sight, it looked very interesting, but then I noticed, that
> there are audio problems. I am subscribed at the linphone-ml and
> another person reported an audio-problem.

I use Linphone at home in a setup with two audio cards (headphones+mic
combo connected to secondary card which is dedicated to VOIP). At work
I used to run Linphone on a machine with PulseAudio and an USB audio
card (I like music in the background while answering the phone and
there was no other way).

Never had any audio or any other problems with Linphone, which is not
something I could tell about Ekiga, which is superior in design but
behaved quite flaky for me (I've tried various versions over the
years). I've also tried SJPhone at work which is rock solid too, but
ugly as a duck (it's not a GTK+ 2.x app AFAIK) and X-Lite, which has a
Linux version that hasn't been updated for quite some time (also an
ugly skinned app).

At home I rarely use VOIP and lately I do VOIP calls mainly through my
mobile phone (by the way, Linphone has Android and IOS versions). But at
work we had our own VOIP server with heavy Linux VOIP users (sales and
24/7 tech support), so I speak not only from my experience as a user,
but also as a admin who supported other heavy VOIP users.

Hail Linphone!

--
mișu