[OT] Re: Which VoIP program do you use?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 18 19:03:14 CET 2011

I think this is off-topic, but well...

Am Freitag, den 18.02.2011, 15:17 +0100 schrieb Al Bogner:
> I am having troubles with VoIP programs. The strange thing is,
> everything works partially with different VoIP-apps. I tried twinkle,
> which works with UMTS only, if it is used with a DSL-line before, I
> think there is something missing re KDE.

Not sure if I can follow you. I guess you are using a router when using
DSL (unlike with 3G where you are connected directly to the network),
therefor you'll need to use a sip-proxy or forward port 5060 through the
router.

> While twinkle is very nice, I
> don't want to install a lot packages of KDE, when using XFCE.
>
> Ekiga behaves strange too, as well as linphone. In some situations only
> 1 person hears audio, while video works in both direction. With Mifi
> (mobile WLAN-router using UMTS) outgoing calls are ok, but incoming
> don't ring, with UMTS and DSL it works in both directions.

Again, configure a proxy.

> That is why I ask, which VoIP apps you use without problems with XFCE?

You can use http://www.sflphone.org/ - it has both a GTK and QT
interface.

Regards,
Christoph