What is the preffered Bluetooth-management tool for XFCE?

Liviu Andronic liv.public at zoho.com
Fri Feb 4 18:13:30 CET 2011

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 14:55:33 +0100, Ilya Ilembitov <ilembitov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I would like to figure out how GNOME-free one's XFCE setup could be,
> so I ran into some issues.
>
> The main issue is lack of a native Bluetooth GUI manager for XFCE.
> What do you guys use to manage your bluetooth connections, file
> transfers and audio devices? Apart from gnome-bluetooth, I mean.

There is blueman.

> Furthermore, I would like to ask if there is any kind of GNOME-free
> applet for Networkmanager. WICD is almost okay, but I need an
> intuitive way to handle VPN connections.

Xfce hosts airconfig [1], but it was never released and development is
stalled. I don't know if it provides anything VPN-related.

[1] http://git.xfce.org/apps/airconfig/

> Finally, are there any GDM replacements? I am only aware of SLIM,
> which isn't really mantained, as far as I am concerned. Then there is
> LXDM, but it's not complete, AFAIK.

I've recently tried lightdm and it's very nice. There have been some
discussions in the past, but I'm still wondering if lightdm could make its
way under the Xfce umbrella?

Regards
Liviu