Orage - how to 'clear' repeated event until the next one?

Juha Kautto kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
Fri Dec 30 09:18:32 CET 2011

29.12.2011 16:14, Chris Green kirjoitti:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 03:39:38PM +0200, Juha Kautto wrote:
>> 29.12.2011 12:43, Chris Green kirjoitti:
>>> I'm running xubuntu 11.10 and I have started using Orage, I imported my
>>> existing .ics file which went OK which was a good start.
>>>
>>> However I have one issue that I can't resolve, maybe it's an enhancement
>>> request.  I have several repeated events which repeat every 3 months
>>> (they are quarterly tax payments).  I need to remind myself about these
>>> a few days in advance so I do the paperwork needed and send off the
>>> money on time.  I have a little python script run via genmon that puts a
>>> warning message in the panel when one of these is due.
>>>
>>> The problem is that Orage doesn't offer a way to clear the event without
>>> clearing future occurrences, or at least I don't think it does.  With a
>>> repeating event it surely is a normal requirement to be able to say
>>> "I've done this one, tell me about the next one when it is due".
>>>
>>> I used to use reminderfox (a Firefox add-on) to manage the events and
>>> that does offer to ability to remove/turn-off the current/next
>>> occurrence of an event.  Orage is a neater solution in many ways but I
>>> need the ability to clear the 'next' occurrence of a repeated event.
>>>
>> I think you should try to change your EVENT to TODO.
>>
> That makes very little difference that I can see, I did some tests with
> a TODO set to repeat monthly and it's really no different from an EVENT
> except that it has a 'done' flag which doesn't seem to change anything
> much anyway.
>
> A TODO with the 'done' flag set still appears at every repeat.  In
> addition setting the 'done' flag sets the TODO to 'done' for every
> repeat in the future - completely wrong and useless!
>
> A repeating EVENT or TODO is only of any use if you can clear the
> previous/current ones somehow.  In terms of what happens in the .ics
> file this means either a custom entry of some sort or you have to delete
> and replace the VEVENT entry with one that starts at the next repeat.

It seems to work completely wrong in your system then. This is how it
works for me and
how it should work:
Create for example weekly repeating EVENT: starts on 30 December 2011
and lasts 2 days:
- This is visible in every week and you can not remove it except by
defining exception days,
    which is not a good idea.

Change it to TODO and only the next TODO start date is shown. Set it as
done and the next
TODO will be shown and the current one will disappear.  Note, that it
needs to be "done"
after the TODO starts. (In the main window the TODO is black if it is in
the future and blue
when it is active and finally red when it is late. It can be late only
when it has Due time
defined.)

But there is indeed no way to separate repeating events in ics file. You
can not comment those
individually and you can not get it deleted and recreated as you say. So
in that sense you can not
remove it from the ics file.

(Orage can however remind you about the next TODO, so extra genmon
script is not needed.)

Juha