Orage - how to 'clear' repeated event until the next one?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Dec 29 15:14:50 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 03:39:38PM +0200, Juha Kautto wrote:
> 29.12.2011 12:43, Chris Green kirjoitti:
> >I'm running xubuntu 11.10 and I have started using Orage, I imported my
> >existing .ics file which went OK which was a good start.
> >
> >However I have one issue that I can't resolve, maybe it's an enhancement
> >request.  I have several repeated events which repeat every 3 months
> >(they are quarterly tax payments).  I need to remind myself about these
> >a few days in advance so I do the paperwork needed and send off the
> >money on time.  I have a little python script run via genmon that puts a
> >warning message in the panel when one of these is due.
> >
> >The problem is that Orage doesn't offer a way to clear the event without
> >clearing future occurrences, or at least I don't think it does.  With a
> >repeating event it surely is a normal requirement to be able to say
> >"I've done this one, tell me about the next one when it is due".
> >
> >I used to use reminderfox (a Firefox add-on) to manage the events and
> >that does offer to ability to remove/turn-off the current/next
> >occurrence of an event.  Orage is a neater solution in many ways but I
> >need the ability to clear the 'next' occurrence of a repeated event.
> >
> I think you should try to change your EVENT to TODO.

That makes very little difference that I can see, I did some tests with
a TODO set to repeat monthly and it's really no different from an EVENT
except that it has a 'done' flag which doesn't seem to change anything
much anyway.

A TODO with the 'done' flag set still appears at every repeat.  In
addition setting the 'done' flag sets the TODO to 'done' for every
repeat in the future - completely wrong and useless!

A repeating EVENT or TODO is only of any use if you can clear the
previous/current ones somehow.  In terms of what happens in the .ics
file this means either a custom entry of some sort or you have to delete
and replace the VEVENT entry with one that starts at the next repeat.

--
Chris Green