Xscreensave takes minutes to do anything

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Dec 20 17:27:32 CET 2011

On my newly installed xubuntu 11.10 the screensaver application in the
Settings Manager takes a ridiculously long time to do anything.

I thought at first it wasn't working at all because nothing happened
when I clicked on the icon.  However it eventually popped up, then any
mouse click within the screensaver application took ten or twenty
seconds to be acted on.

I just tried it again and it seems OK, so I don't know what was going on
before.  Could this possibly be connected with another symptom I've
seen, incredibly slow system shutdown/restart?

--
Chris Green