Feature suggestion: Automatic handling of monitor hotplugging

Michael Seiwald michael at mseiwald.at
Tue Dec 20 16:05:17 CET 2011

Hello all,

what I really like about GNOME is that it handles hotplugging of
external monitors automatically at runtime. This is especially important
when using a docking station. When I come home and plug my laptop into
the docking station I want my desktop environment to disable the
laptop's display and configure the external monitor with my preferred
resolution instead. And vice versa.

GNOME handles this through the RandR-plugin of gnome-settings-daemon
[1][2] quite nicely. I would really like to see that in XFCE too. From
what I understand the best place for this would be xfsettingsd because
it runs in the background and could react to RRScreenChangeNotify events
of the X server.

I'm conviced this would be a valuable addition to XFCE for a lot of users.

Kind regards

Michael

[1] https://live.gnome.org/RandR#RANDR_policies_in_GNOME
[2] http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/plugins/xrandr