"Defaults" button in every settings screen

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Sat Dec 10 17:12:42 CET 2011

Am 10.12.2011 16:53, schrieb Michael Orlitzky:
> On 12/10/2011 04:51 AM, Mike Massonnet wrote:
>>
>> In case it wasn't mentionned yet, you can reset settings to system
>> defaults by deleting the local directory ~/.config/xfce4.
>>
>> Therefore instead of providing "Defaults" button here and there, it
>> might just simpler to provide a tool for that purpose to star from thé
>> applications menu.
>
> It would be better than asking users to do it, but you still might get
> into trouble: you have to be careful not to delete files that XFCE
> didn't create.

Such files would be known, so this would be possible. An enhancement for
this would be the ability to backup and restore config files, like the
files and settings transfer wizard for windows which allows you to
choose what to backup or restore.

> The individual defaults buttons would be nicer because they allow you to
> revert only the part that you think is messed up.

Then again you would need to click a lot of buttons in a lot of dialogs.
CCSM (compiz settings manager) has such a feature. I found I used it
only when it was not possible for me to set a specific value and that
button came to the rescue, like setting a slider to 0 but it would stay
either at +0.33 or -0.33. For most things it's just easier to start from
fresh than trying to find the erroneous setting. Additionally, I imagine
implementing all that buttons would be quite a lot of (repetitive) work.

> I understand if it's a low priority enhancement or even not worth the
> trouble at all -- I was merely arguing that it would be useful to me and
> that I'm not a bad person for playing around with my desktop settings.

I believe no one accused you of that, and that your personality is not
in question here? I'm sorry if I conveyed that impression.

Regards,
Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'