"Defaults" button in every settings screen

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri Dec 9 22:49:37 CET 2011

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 03:56:41 +0900
Andrzej <ndrwrdck at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The *only* actual problem I have with XFCE settings is that whenever
> I want to rearrange my panels or plugins I *have to* break my current
> setup. If only I was able to temporarily disable panels and/or
> plugins (rather than delete them) that would make this whole issue go
> away entirely, at least as far as I'm concerned.

I think you're aiming to high here. What you want is undo/redo features
for the configuration of an entire set of applications. That would be
ridiculously hard to implement and thus, this will probably never
happen (if implemented in apps, this would blow up the code of apps;
if implemented in xfconf it would require an awful lot of semantic
information about the context and relationship of options).

If you change your configuration and you want to go back, you'll have to
revert the steps on your own. We could in theory add revision to xfconf
and allow apps to commit and revert commits and all that but please...
working on something lik that would just move the focus away from the
really important work on Xfce. ;)

> Other potential targets for a "special treatment" are keyboard
> shortcuts and session/autostart configuration. They also are rather
> laborious to set up and some users may change them heavily or
> frequently.

It would be easy to write an external tool that dumps the configuration
of a selection of apps to a file and thereby allows people to go back
and forth in their configuration history. But the decision which
parts to remember and when, and also when to go back/forward would have
to be made by the user.

  - Jannis