"Defaults" button in every settings screen

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 9 19:56:41 CET 2011

On 12/09/2011 03:44 PM, Nick Schermer wrote:

>> /plugins/plugin-<ID>/*
>
> Plugin-id's never change.
>
>> Restoring these setting would fail if someone had previously rearranged
>> plugins in the panel. To this work we'd either have to make the IDs
>> immutable or hard-code some application specific logic in the save/restore
>> mechanism.

I've been thinking about it for a while and realized that having
configuration profiles for all possible settings is not really what *I*
need (others may disagree).

The *only* actual problem I have with XFCE settings is that whenever I
want to rearrange my panels or plugins I *have to* break my current
setup. If only I was able to temporarily disable panels and/or plugins
(rather than delete them) that would make this whole issue go away
entirely, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Other potential targets for a "special treatment" are keyboard shortcuts
and session/autostart configuration. They also are rather laborious to
set up and some users may change them heavily or frequently.

Andrzej