Problems using xfce on xubuntu 11.04 due to Ubuntu's move to Unity desktop

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Dec 9 18:07:21 CET 2011

I'm having lots of problems having just upgraded to xubuntu 11.04
because of the Unity desktop that Ubuntu now uses.

I have just hit the *fourth* program which has lost its menu bar because
it thinks that there's a Unity desktop with the menus there.  So far the
programs affected are Firefox, VirtualBox, Wammu and another.

Firefox is fixable by disabling a plugin but I can't find any way to get
the menus back on VirtualBox and Wammu.

Can anyone suggest a way around this problem?

--
Chris Green