User statistics - how much does xfce gain?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 11:00:47 CEST 2011

Hi again,

Well, compared to what? :)

Compared to Gnome-2, in the article you cite xfce almost uses the same
amount of memory as gnome-2:
http://www.phoronix.com/data/img/results/linux_desktop_vitals/5.png
Shouldn't features more or less only reflect in code-size, instead of
unshareable memory? e.g what does the panel use 25mb (or even 10mb) for, as
does the desktop.

.. and design, may I add. I tested LXDE a couple of times and it
> always felt like a patch-up work compared to the robust and elegant
> design of Xfce.

I am quite happy with lxde on the laptop machine I mentioned in my first
email, as it consumes a lot less memory - and leaves more of the tiny 512mb
for apps.

Anyway, of course I like xfce a lot more - so I use it on all more powerful
machines :)

Thanks, Clemens