Terminal not launching with different config files

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sun Aug 28 13:04:22 CEST 2011

Using Terminal 0.4.6, but get the same when I tried out 0.4.8.

To be able to see which teminal is root, I use a different color for that
terminal. Or at least I try to do.

I have a script that does the following:
#!/bin/bash
#Launch the different terminals
terminal --geometry=128x74-9+6 --hide-menubar --hide-borders -T Terminal.below &
terminal --geometry=98x41+60+6 --hide-menubar --hide-borders -T Terminal.below &
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=$HOME/.config/Terminal/Terminal \
terminal --geometry=98x32+60-6 --hide-menubar --hide-borders -T Terminal.below -e 'su -' &

--geometry places them where I want on my 1920x1200 screen. The next two
options will be obvious. The -T Terminal.below I use so Devilspie can keep
them below all other screens.

The problem is the last one. Instead of using an actual different config
file, it uses the same one. So when I try to change the color on that one,
it changes the color on ALL of them and that I do not want.

The strange thing is that sometimes it works. If it works, it will work
for the whole session. If it does not work, it will not work for the whole
session. Working/non-working is perhaps about 50/50.

I have also tried the following:
houghi at penne : XDG_CONFIG_HOME=$HOME/.config/Terminal/Terminal terminal
houghi at penne : XDG_CONFIG_HOME=$HOME/.config terminal

They are still linked together. The differences in the termibalrc files
are not big, but enough that a difference is visible. One is grey, the
other is red:
houghi at penne : diff terminalrc Terminal/Terminal/terminalrc
18a19
> ColorBackground=#622400f500f5
20,23c21
< ShortcutsNoMenukey=TRUE
< BackgroundDarkness=0.780000
< ColorForeground=#16b616b616b6
< ColorBackground=#555555555555
---
> BackgroundDarkness=0.710000

What can I do to get this solved? Are there things I need to do extra or
did wrong?

houghi
--
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
and why. Then do it.