XFCE volume manager daemon, disabling notifications

Richard Kenyon richardlkenyon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 19:21:42 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 19:09 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 26.08.2011, 17:42 +0100 schrieb Richard Kenyon:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm finding notifications pretty irritating.
> >
> > Sadly I use gnome-power-manager which apparently insists there must be
> > some notification package installed.
> >
> > Is there a way I can disable xfce4-notifyd notifications /without/
> > removing xfce4-notifyd?
>
> Edit /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.xfce.Notifications.service (or
> whatever the file is called in your distro):
>
> [D-BUS Service]
> Name=org.freedesktop.Notifications
> #Exec=/usr/lib64/xfce4/notifyd/xfce4-notifyd
> Exec=/bin/true
>
> Alternatively you can just remove the file. I haven't tested it but I'm
> confident it works. Not sure if gnome-power-manager likes it though.
>
> Regards,
> Christoph

Using Debian Squeeze, the file
is /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Notifications.service

and it worked, thanks for your help. :)

Also, apologies for the misleading subject, though this issue doesn't
concern the Xfce volume manager it was the Xfce volume manager's use of
the notification daemon that made me want to disable notifications.

Again, many thanks,

richard