ANNOUNCE: garcon 0.1.7 released

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Apr 17 00:39:15 CEST 2011

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:58:00 +0200
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de>
> wrote:
> > In the 0.1.6 release it was declared as a development release. Is
> > this true also for 0.1.7, what release do you recommend to ship in a
> > distribution for Xfce 4.8 releases?
>
> 0.1.7 was also a stable release, I saw the devel notice after making
> the release. However we still use an odd minor number since we don't
> consider garcon 'finished'. So 0.1.7 is stable and so are the other
> 0.1.x release.

Well, 0.1.x means unstable *but* garcon really is in good shape, so
it's safe to distribute and use it. Now that garcon has been moved to
Xfce core there will be a 0.2.0 along with Xfce 4.10. That'll
definitely be stable then.

Ok, Nick said 0.1.7 is stable and I agree that sometimes versioning
schemes suck because they don't always reflect the state of the
software. Anyway, packagers are expected to create packages for the
things Xfce 4.8 depends on and that includes garcon. If garcon 0.1.0 is
required for 4.8 then every more recent 0.1.x version is even better.

Just as a general hint: Since the 4.8 cycle, version numbers like 0.1.x,
0.3.x, 0.5.x, 0.7.x etc. (odd minor version, you get it) are considered
versions of development releases while those with an even minor version
number (0.2.x, 0.4.x, 0.6.x etc.) are considered stable releases. But
as with garcon, sometimes development releases are as good as unstable
versions. (Tumbler is another example btw.)

  - Jannis