trash can disappeared

walter tallent w41t3r at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 16:41:35 CEST 2011

Hello all.
I upgraded my xfce from 4.6 to 4.8 and on the desktop my trashcan icon has
vanished.  I still have the directory under ~/.local, and in the settings I have
the trashcan checked under desktop icons.  But it's not there, nor is there a
"broken" icon link, it's just empty where there should be an icon.  I upgraded
by hand, downloading and building the packages myself, but I can't figure out
what I could have missed, everything else seems to be there and working
properly.  Any suggestions?
I can send stuff to the trash can, from thunar, but I have no icon to empty it
from the desktop.
thanks for any pointers
walter