diagonal change of work space (desktops)

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 21 19:05:16 CEST 2010

On 10/21/2010 12:04 PM, John Coppens wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:35:48 -0400
> Gilbert Sullivan<whirly.gig at hotmail.com>  wrote:
>
>>> I don't think XFCE has the concept of 2D organization of workspaces.
>>> Else the 'Workspaces' dialog would ask how to organize them. Eg. I have
>>> 6 spaces defined. 'Workspaces' would have to ask how to organize them
>>> (1x6, 2x3 or 3x2) if it knew about 2D.
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> On my installations (4.6.2) the setting for number of rows is in the
>> Properties dialog for the workspace switcher applet in the panel.
>
> Hi Gilbert.
>
> You're right! I never detected that - thanks for the hint.
>
> I love XFCE, and have used it for years. But I am frequently confused
> as to where I have to go to change options. This is yet another example!
> I do believe this should be in the 'Workspaces' dialog, or else do away
> with the dialog completely and add number of workspaces to the Switcher
> properties.
>
> Cheers,
> John

Hi, John.

Xfce is, far and away, my favorite current desktop environment. For some
reason almost everything  about about it seems natural to me. (I'll
admit that having to add, subtract, and edit desktop files to change the
menu seems a little odd.) This actually makes sense to me. You set the
number of desktops you want in the workspaces applet. You set the
spatial arrangement in the panel applet that you use for switching among
the workspaces when using the mouse. In a funny way it seems a logical
outcome of the one tool / one function mentality.

But I'm guessing that you're right and that the dictates of ease of use
will entail having all of the workspace controls situated in one
location, with the user getting to it either through the desktop
environment settings or through the panel applet.

Regards,
Gilbert