Xfce Foundation status

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Oct 16 17:40:13 CEST 2010

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 15:31:39 +0200
Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de> wrote:

> > > I'm pretty sure there's no such law. The LXDE Foundation is a
> > > German e.V. as well. And yes, in informal contexts one can leave
> > > out the "e.V.".
> >
> > Yes, that would not be a problem. We could not name it e. g. Xfce
> > GmbH e. V. as "GmbH" is a proper legal form in Germany.
> > "Foundation" however, is not.
>
> Naming the e.V. "Xfce Foundation" results in not being able to raise a
> foundation for Xfce that would be named "Foundation".

I seriously doubt that anyone would ever want to create a SECOND
non-profit organization for the same purpose. So this argument is
irrelevant.

> Others already mentioned that there are indeed differences, and not
> caring for legal stuff and not being clear is rather typical for open
> source projects. So it is a good point to be clear and conform with
> legal namings and stick to "Xfce" or "Xfce Association" -- the
> Foundation is really bad as a name and you should not repeat the
> mistakes that others already made. It simply makes Xfce ridiculous
> from a commercial/industrial point of view.

Ridiculous? Oh, please. You don't want to tell me that all the
"Foundations" (GNOME, XOrg, FSF etc.) out there are ridiculous, do you?

> > > True, but again, it doesn't really matter. Of course I'd prefer a
> > > founding event with a big party and every single one of us
> > > attending. What's more important though is that we get this thing
> > > started at some point and I doubt Xfce will benefit less if the
> > > non-profit organization is created by "random" people. At least
> > > as long as we quickly get Xfce people involved after the official
> > > registration.
>
> I think so as well and a place not away from everyone else and far
> away from major airports should be chosen for first meetings. The
> OpenRheinRuhr as already pointed out would have been a good starting
> point. And then there can be the "Kneipe Party" afterwards as well as
> already happened at the CLT and the FrOSCon (and presumably more
> events).

All meetings (except for the initial one) will be held online. So there
will be no "location".

  - Jannis