Xfce Foundation status

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Sat Oct 16 15:31:39 CEST 2010

Am Samstag, den 16.10.2010, 12:29 +0200 schrieb Jon:
> On Thursday 14 October 2010 21:56:21 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> > > "Foundation" also seems to be quite common as part of the name
> > > regardless of the concrete legal entity, so it probably is a good
> > > choice as long as there is no German law preventing that.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure there's no such law. The LXDE Foundation is a German
> > e.V. as well. And yes, in informal contexts one can leave out the
> > "e.V.".
>
> Yes, that would not be a problem. We could not name it e. g. Xfce GmbH e. V.
> as "GmbH" is a proper legal form in Germany. "Foundation" however, is not.

Naming the e.V. "Xfce Foundation" results in not being able to raise a
foundation for Xfce that would be named "Foundation". Others already
mentioned that there are indeed differences, and not caring for legal
stuff and not being clear is rather typical for open source projects. So
it is a good point to be clear and conform with legal namings and stick
to "Xfce" or "Xfce Association" -- the Foundation is really bad as a
name and you should not repeat the mistakes that others already made. It
simply makes Xfce ridiculous from a commercial/industrial point of view.

> > But of course, so does the FSF. It seems favored by most people here so
> > far, at least I can see a tendency. ;)

As Auke already pointed out, any organization that is not discussable
and that does not use money donated to their projects for themselves (so
some health-care organizations cannot be chosen) should be finde. FSF,
UNESCO are good in my opinion.

> > True, but again, it doesn't really matter. Of course I'd prefer a
> > founding event with a big party and every single one of us attending.
> > What's more important though is that we get this thing started at some
> > point and I doubt Xfce will benefit less if the non-profit organization
> > is created by "random" people. At least as long as we quickly get Xfce
> > people involved after the official registration.

I think so as well and a place not away from everyone else and far away
from major airports should be chosen for first meetings. The
OpenRheinRuhr as already pointed out would have been a good starting
point. And then there can be the "Kneipe Party" afterwards as well as
already happened at the CLT and the FrOSCon (and presumably more
events).

Caring for Xfce's future...

Fabian