History (Was: Xfce Foundation status)

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 20:29:40 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
<mihamina at gulfsat.mg> wrote:
>> landronimirc at gmail.com :
>>When I first tried Xfce, 4.2 I think, it was half usable, resembling
>>Fluxbox more than Gnome.
>
> Uh! I dont agree :-)
> I used XFCE from the 3.6 on Sun sparc (Debian) and it was fine and
> completely usable.

Of course, my comments should be qualified. :)

Two elements that I remember vividly from my early experience with
Xfce is the need to manually configure panel items and the absence of
desktop icons. The former is now elegantly performed via DnD from the
App finder, while the latter has been very nicely implemented. This
but also various other improvements to robustness, feel and software
choice mean that I can now boldly install Linux with Xfce on my
mother's computers in her office and on my gilfriend's laptop and have
them peacefully use it.

Regards
Liviu