History (Was: Xfce Foundation status)

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Oct 14 15:04:15 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 09:42 +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> > landronimirc at gmail.com :
> >When I first tried Xfce, 4.2 I think, it was half usable, resembling
> >Fluxbox more than Gnome.
>
> Uh! I dont agree :-)
> I used XFCE from the 3.6 on Sun sparc (Debian) and it was fine and
> completely usable.

I do agree with Mihamina. I was using XFCE on RedHat v5.2 (Apollo
released in November 1998) , I think it was version 2.something...

I liked it back then. I like it now, though v4 is much more the
environment now than it was back then.

The version 3 era was actually my favorite time for XFCE it just seemed
to work like I did and was scary light and fast on just about
everything. It worked great for remote desktops over a dialup... or ISDN
as compared to KDE (lets not even talk about GNOME back in 1998-2002).

For Liviu to have compared 4.2 to Fluxbox... shows exactly how long he
has or has not been using XFCE and probably Linux in General. Lets go
check things like Enlightenment from that era, BlackBox and
WindowMaker.. IMO XFCE was far better and had all the pieces parts that
made WM and BB popular, but tied it all together with some things like
Enlightenment did right (which really was quite a few back then) but
without all the funkiness.

Lets not even compare CDE from that era, it was horrid, but usable.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Alternate Fingerprint: 455F E104 22CA  29C4 933F 9505 2B79 2AB2