Xfce Foundation status

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Thu Oct 14 16:28:41 CEST 2010

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:01:59 +0200
Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:30:21 +0200
> Markus Hoenicka <markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de> wrote:
>
> > Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> was heard to say:
> >
> > > I agree, a Stiftung is very different from a Verein (e.g. it has no
> > > members). However, the word "foundation" seems to be widely used for
> > > this type of non-profit organization all around the world.
> > > Technically, the GNOME Foundation is not a foundation either, it's
> > > a "non-profit public benefit coporation".
> > >

> > If it ain't a foundation, then don't call it a foundation :-) I
> > don't think it is a good idea to abuse a clear-cut legal term just
> > because it sounds cool and because there is some precedent that
> > others have made that mistake too. As far as I understand you want to
> > launch an e.V. to further the development and propagation of Xfce.
> > This does not sound like a foundation which owns and/or collects
> > money to support a variety of projects. To me this rather looks like
> > a group of individuals which agree to follow a particular goal and
> > need a legal form to do so. This makes the whole effort an
> > association, most likely a non-profit one. Therefore I'd suggest Xfce
> > Association e.V.
>
> Yes, "Xfce Association e.V." would be fine, too.
>
> I don't consider naming an non-profit organization a "XYZ Foundation" a
> mistake though. It's very common and we could just accept that it's the
> standard naming scheme for non-profit organizations dealing with
> software. I give you more examples: XOrg Foundation, Free Software
> Foundation. The German wikipedia entry for the FSF even says that it's
> a "Stiftung, die als gemeinnützige Organisation ... gegründet wurde".
>
> We could as well anticipate the confusion in order to express how
> little we care about the legal aspects. ;)
> "Foundation" as a word also has the nice side-effect of serving as a
> metaphor for its purpose (being one of the important foundations
> thanks to which Xfce can prosper).
>
>   - Jannis

I have to say I like foundation. Foundation denotes a solid base that
supports things. It also says "we raise money for the groups we are the
base to".

Associations also support the organizations, but are not a solid base
to build on. They are there, if you need to lean on them. They may
raise funds for the groups they "associate" with, but they may just
hang on the name, too.

A Foundation is solid, it tends to say "We are here to stay".

--
Charlie Kravetz