Xfce Foundation status

Enrico Tröger enrico at xfce.org
Wed Oct 13 23:46:10 CEST 2010

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:42:22 +0200, Jannis wrote:

Hi,

>I am currently working on some of the documents required to create a
>non-profit organization for Xfce under German law (so it would be

Yay!
Thanks already for working on this, this is really great (and a lot of
tedious work).

>The draft is not finished yet but I have a few questions for you anyway
>(please read KDE's articles of association first):
>
>  * Do you think all this makes sense?

Absolutely.

>  * Does a German e.V. (which is a non-profit organization registered
>    in Germany) sound like a reasonable type of organization for Xfce?

I can't say really yes because I don't know any other organisation
types, at least non-German ones. But from what I know, yes.

>  * Would you prefer "Xfce e.V." or "Xfce Foundation e.V." to be the
>    name of the organization?

"Xfce Foundation e.V." sound pretty cool but as Jon pointed out, a
(gemeinnütziger) Verein is something different than a Stiftung.
So "Xfce e.V." might be better, more correct.

>  * For how many years do you think the board should be elected?
>    3, 2 or 1?

2.

>  * There is one clause about where the raised money should go in case
>    the e.V. is abandoned. The KDE people have decided to forward all
>    their money to UNESCO. I have come up with a few alternatives.
>    Which of the following organizations would you prefer the money to
>    be handed over to in case the e.V. is closed?
>
>      UNESCO, Amnesty International, Greenpeace, WWF or OLPC?
>
>    You can of course make your own suggestions if you want to.

FSF or FSFE.

>Please help us by answering the questions. If this makes sense for most
>of you and the questions are answered, I'll proceed in finishing the
>paperwork.
>
>The founding process itself involves a formal meeting in real life
>with at least 7 persons attending. As it seems unrealistic to organize
>such a meeting with Xfce-only people from all around the world before
>the end of the year, I propose that I organize this meeting in
>Lübeck, gathering a few local Xfce users or friends. During this
>meeting they would sign a resolution that says the board of directors
>will be re-elected shortly after the e.V. has been registered. In this
>re-election we can then establish people more deeply involved in Xfce

Sounds good. I'd try hard to join the initial event in Lübeck.

Thank you!

Regards,
Enrico