Is kdeinit4 necessary?

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Tue Oct 5 18:06:10 CEST 2010

Hello people.

A while ago, I reinstalled Slackware (now 13.1), while upgrading to
x86_64. I selected the the xfce4 (which I have been using for years).
I noticed that kdeinit4 was running, but didn't make much of it at the
time.

Now, whenever I install/uninstall software, I get a handfull of warning
messages on a terminal screen such as:

====
 "/usr/share/gnome/apps/Google-googleearth.desktop" is not compliant
with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).

Parse error in
"/root/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" ,
line  1 , col  1 :  "unexpected end of file"
====
Even when correcting the errors (adding the ;, and deleting the file),
Still a message:

 kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
   kbuildsycoca4 running...

appears uninvitedly.

I understand the above are just warnings. And I understand kdeinit4 has
been released with chatty mode enabled. It just clobbers my terminal
screen unnecessarily.

Q1: what is the task of kdeinit4 (I don't run KDE)?
Q2: is it necessary to get XFCE running? (or for something else?)

Thanks,
John