Hot-swapping external monitor (was: Can't use ...)

Hans Georg Schaathun hg+xfce at schaathun.net
Mon Nov 22 12:21:59 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 08:27:14PM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> And you might want to try the various guis for xrandr, like lxrandr,
> arandr etc.

How well does these xrandr solutions work with hot-swapping monitors
(projectors).  I frequently need to connect to new projectors and
large screens with no opportunity to test and debug in advance.

This has so far worked very well with the Gnome tools.  Except for
having to restart fvwm whenever the resolution changes, but then
fvwm is not a Gnome tool.  I was hoping this might work better in xfce,
by having a wm designed to work with the other desktop tools.  But
judging from many discussion fora this is a pain in the neck for
xfce users.

Has anyone (with similar requirements) got it working to satisfaction?

I haven't actually tried xrandr yet, mainly because I tend not to
have the screen and the time for testing at the same time ...
If there is some rumour out that it should work, I'll find a way to
try it though.

--
:-- Hans Georg