Highlight mouse pointer ability?

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Fri Nov 19 14:43:33 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 09:50:16PM -0500, Derick Centeno wrote:
> Hi Houghi!
>
> I find that something called Pulse Glass cursor is really useful.
> Try it, here's the link:
>
> http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/Pulse+Glass?content=124442

Ah, that is a theme. I am not looking for a theme. I am looking for
somthing to locate the mouse once in a while (once every week or so). I do
not want to have a different mouse all the time.

I re-done a search and now it looks like I have found something:
xdotool

Sample output of mouse. Went to a different screen each time.
houghi at penne : xdotool getmouselocation
x:596 y:933 screen:1
houghi at penne : xdotool getmouselocation
x:914 y:502 screen:2
houghi at penne : xdotool getmouselocation
x:1073 y:766 screen:0

Now all I need to do is write a script that shows something at that
location for say 3-5 seconds.

The easiest would be something like (for the first output)
DISPLAY=:0.1 kdialog --geometry 50x50+569+933 --passivepopup here 5

Unfortunatly the --geometry part does not work as expected.

And then link the whole script to a key combination. Exit if clicked.

Nicer would be if something like
http://www.animatedgif.net/bulletsballs/pulseball_e0.gif showed up on that
location. (OK, not black, but transparent as a background)
All I need is to know how to show an (animated gif) image on the screen in
said position and if possible with bash.

I will look how I could do either and will get back if I found a solution.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: