Changing Behavior of Quit Button

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 15 18:40:08 CET 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010, Mike Massonnet wrote:

> I think the program xfce4-power-manager could be causing this. First make
> sure if it is running, check the process list and the notification area
> (it displays an icon there).

Mike,

   What do you mean by 'notification area?'

   Yes, the power manager shows up in the list of processes.

> If so right click the icon or run the settings dialog from Xfce Menu >
> Settings > Xfce4 Power Manager (xfce4-power-manager-settings), there you
> will be able to tweak the action for the power button. Or try to remove
> this package.

   Tweaking the actions when on battery, AC, and top closing are the
available options. I don't want to remove it because it's useful when the
laptop is running on the battery.

> Otherwise it might be a change in the ACPI script, but that's more
> Slackware related.

   I'm running -13.1 with xfce-4.6.1 on the desktop and clicking the quit
button usually kills the X server (but now on occasion it brings up a dialog
box asking if that's what I want to do). It's always been set to just kill X
without asking. On the laptop I'm running -current and that's where I see
the dialog box with options to log me out as a user, reboot, shut down,
suspend, or hibernate. Completely different behavior when the same button is
clicked.

   Clicking to view properties of that button the only offered options are to
select among quit/lock screen/both and, if both, to orient them horizontally
or vertically. No control over behavior of the quit button's actions.

Thanks,

Rich