Shutdown klutz problems

Todd and Margo Chester ToddAndMargo at verizon.net
Thu May 13 08:55:22 CEST 2010

On 05/12/2010 01:34 PM, Derick Centeno wrote:
>> Anyone know what the program name is for gnome's shutdown?
>> That would do perfectly.
>
> Hi Todd&  Margo!
>
> I was really puzzled to discover your query regarding server control
> in list dedicated to xfce.

It is the Xfce shutdown button I am having problems with.  So, it
is entirely appropriate to pot here.  Sorry, do not see your point.

> I'm more puzzled to learn that you are
> attempting to use a server while running gnome.

Where did you get that idea?

> I can appreciate
> that many things have changed regarding how servers are run, but if
> you want to prevent accidents from occuring it is best to just drop
> the pretty interfaces entirely and rely on the command line interface
> entirely.

Too many other things going on to drop to init 3.  Besides, with Xfce
I can open up multiple on multiples of xterms.  So I can
have tons more command lines.  And the #&%@ing console messages
don't mess across my vi sessions.  I must know what my firewall is
up to.

> Personally, I despise gnome.  I prefer xfce because it allows me to
> get to the CLI and other tools very quickly.

You would love/despise the unstable KDE 4

Maybe I will just write my own script for shutting down
and remove the built in Xfce panel.

-T