Want xfce, not twm, as my vnc session wm

Gerard Lally gerard at netmail.ie
Sat May 8 06:26:57 CEST 2010

On 07/05/10 21:10 -0700, Todd and Margo Chester wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I am reading over CentOS's vnc-server how to:
>http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server#head-590bc681fe9ae3aeff8f5745860352706e896288
>
>They have me editing/creating ~.vnc/xstartup:
>
>#!/bin/sh
># Add the following line to ensure you always have an xterm available.
>( while true ; do xterm ; done )&
># Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
>unset SESSION_MANAGER
>exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ]&&  exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
>[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ]&&  xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
>xsetroot -solid grey
>vncconfig -iconic&
>xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop"&
>twm&
>

>It is the "twm&" I object to.  If I am remembering correctly,
>startxfce4 does not work as a substitute.  I want the remote
>user to see his xfce screen the same way he would as if he
>was sitting in front of the machine.
>
>Does anyone have a ~.vnc/xstartup for xfce that they would not
>mind posting back for me to look at?

This works for me:

#!/bin/sh

# Slackware Linux VNC session startup script
#
unset SESSION_MANAGER
#exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

# Another example of setting up desktop environment
#
[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r /.Xresources ] && xrdb /.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title " Desktop" &
startxfce4 &

--
Gerard