File associations in Thunar

Tino Keitel tino.keitel+xfce at tikei.de
Mon Jul 19 07:23:36 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 15:08:53 -0700, Mark wrote:

[...]

> How are these associations determined?  Is there some central location where I
> can see what's associated with what?  Is there any way to prevent these
> changes?

AFAIK Thunar gets them from the MimeType= line of  the .desktop files
spread on your system (e.g.  /usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop).  I
don't know of any priority for this, so the result may be random.

If the default doesn't fit, you can right-click on a file in Thunar and
select "Open with other application".  A window will be opened where
you can select your preferred application and select "Use as default
for this kind of file". This information is saved in
~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list.

Regards,
Tino