File associations in Thunar

Mark mark+xfce4 at carnildo.com
Mon Jul 19 00:08:53 CEST 2010

When I install or upgrade software on my system, the association between file
types and the applications used to open them often changes, sometimes with
bizarre results.  As a recent example, double-clicking on a .gif file
resulted in an attempt to open it in Internet Explorer -- before this, I
wasn't even aware that I *had* an IE clone as part of Wine.  Images tend to
be the most prone to changes, typically fluctuating between GIMP, Ristretto,
and ShowFoto.

How are these associations determined?  Is there some central location where I
can see what's associated with what?  Is there any way to prevent these
changes?

Thanks,
Mark