Order of starting Autostart applications

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Jan 19 13:38:54 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:21:58PM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On 17/01/2010 18:04, Chris G wrote:
> > More to the point I'd *really* like the session autostarts to happen
> > before the "Session and Startup"->"Application Autostart".  This would
> > seem to be an obvious requirement as just about everything in
> > "Application Autostart" is something that just does checks in the
> > background and it matters not one bit if it starts ten minutes after
> > the system starts up.
>
> I disagree. Some programs are indeed automagically added to autostart
> (like wicd client, blueman, stuff like that), but some (like stuff added
> by the user) do have to be started as early as possible.
>
> The whole point of the session management tunings Brian did for 4.6 was
> exactly that, to start everything as soon as possible, in parallel. I
> remember there was some priority-related work but I'm not sure how
> exactly is the situation.

I'm running xfce 4.6.1.1 on Xubuntu 9.10.  When I log in it's very
noticeable that the *last* thing to appear by quite a long way is all
the xfce-terminal windows.  This is rather frustrating as the *first*
thing I want to do after logging in is nearly always reading mail
which I do in a terminal window.

The rest (applications/programs that is) can wait.  :-)

--
Chris Green