thunar-volman usage survey

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 00:29:51 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> thanks to the messy situation with HAL and DeviceKit-disks,
> thunar-volman (the program that auto-mounts volumes and runs
> commands when devices are connected to the computer) is currently
> incompatible with the latest release of Thunar.
>
> The general problem is that thunar-volman needs HAL to query certain
> information about devices. Unfortunately, the same information appears
> not to be available via udev or DeviceKit-disks (which doesn't support
> cameras, PDAs etc. anyway), meaning that there is no alternative to HAL
> for this scenario yet.
>
> This is where things get kinda tricky because
>
>  a) GIO's volume monitor is based on DeviceKit-disks and doesn't
>     notify Thunar when cameras, PDAs etc. are connected, and
>
>  b) mounting volumes with HAL (which is what thunar-volman does
>     through exo-open) seems to be incompatible with DeviceKit-disks
>     (which is what Thunar uses through GIO/GVfs; unmounting
>     HAL-mounted volumes from Thunar currently causes a root password
>     dialog to pop up).
>
> In order to resolve this (as in: make a decision about the future of
> thunar-volman that satisfies most people without causing too much
> work ;)), I'm interested in knowing what parts of thunar-volman are
> enabled by our users (yes, this means you!). So, if you're using
> thunar-volman, please fill out the following survey (it's very short,
> one checkbox for each of the features):
>
>  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/R2KYSND
>
> Cheers,
> Jannis

Just a comment. I'm a fairly new XFCE user and simply use it as
configured by Gentoo for a default setup. I haven't tried to do any
specific optimizations and due to this I really don't know how to
answer. I'd be happy to try and find out but that might take some
time...

You might want to consider adding some sort of "I don't know" response
to your survey in case there more people like me than you might have
planned for.

Again, just a comment.

Cheers,
Mark