thunar-volman usage survey

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Jan 11 23:04:37 CET 2010

Hey folks,

thanks to the messy situation with HAL and DeviceKit-disks,
thunar-volman (the program that auto-mounts volumes and runs
commands when devices are connected to the computer) is currently
incompatible with the latest release of Thunar.

The general problem is that thunar-volman needs HAL to query certain
information about devices. Unfortunately, the same information appears
not to be available via udev or DeviceKit-disks (which doesn't support
cameras, PDAs etc. anyway), meaning that there is no alternative to HAL
for this scenario yet.

This is where things get kinda tricky because

  a) GIO's volume monitor is based on DeviceKit-disks and doesn't
     notify Thunar when cameras, PDAs etc. are connected, and

  b) mounting volumes with HAL (which is what thunar-volman does
     through exo-open) seems to be incompatible with DeviceKit-disks
     (which is what Thunar uses through GIO/GVfs; unmounting
     HAL-mounted volumes from Thunar currently causes a root password
     dialog to pop up).

In order to resolve this (as in: make a decision about the future of
thunar-volman that satisfies most people without causing too much
work ;)), I'm interested in knowing what parts of thunar-volman are
enabled by our users (yes, this means you!). So, if you're using
thunar-volman, please fill out the following survey (it's very short,
one checkbox for each of the features):

  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/R2KYSND

Cheers,
Jannis