ANNOUNCE: xfce4-screenshooter 1.7.9 released
jeromeg at xfce.org
Sun Feb 7 15:20:37 CET 2010
xfce4-screenshooter 1.7.9 is now available for download from
SHA1 checksum: 541a28812ed4ada81b8e437a6246ce07c0dd9db6
MD5 checksum: c01d1cf3830bf8d60e09c0cdd223034c
What is xfce4-screenshooter?
This application allows you to capture the entire screen, the active
window or a selected region. You can set the delay that elapses before
the screenshot is taken and the action that will be done with the
screenshot: save it to a PNG file, copy it to the clipboard, open it
using another application, or host it on ZimageZ, a free online image
A plugin for the Xfce panel is also available.
Release notes for 1.7.9
This release contains a huge number of changes. It is fairly stable, so
consider this as a release candidate.
Please also note that I'm looking for someone to take over Xfce4
Screenshooter maintenance. My priorities have changed and I would like
to find someone who is motivated to bring some new energy. I'm ready to
do mentoring for some time if necessary. Please contact me if you are
=== Changes ===
* The XMLRPC-C dependency has been replaced by libsoup.
* Gtk 2.14 is now required to compile.
* Switch to a non-recursive Makefile.am. This reduces the build time
and centralizes the build information.
* New features:
- Scrolling the panel plugin button changes the area to be
- When compositing is on, use a nice partially transparent
rubber-banding, still needs some polishing.
- F1 opens the help page.
- Automatically fill the title and comment fields in the ZimageZ
upload information dialog.
- Make enter validate the upload in the ZimageZ upload information
- Use the XDG image directory as the default directory for saving
screenshots. If it does not exist, fallback to $HOME.
- Major interface rethinking:
+ This new interface is based on a suggestion by Yves-Alexis
PÃ©rez. The former main dialog is split into two dialogs: one for
selecting the region to be captured and the delay, while the second one
displays a preview of the screenshot and lists the available actions.
+ The main application shows the first dialog, then the second
one. If one of the region CLI options is given, the screenshot is taken
accordingly and the second dialog is displayed.
+ The panel plugin uses the first dialog as a configuration
dialog. When you click the plugin, the screenshot is taken and the
second dialog is shown.
- Allow drag and dropping of the preview to other applications in
order to paste the screenshot (Mike Massonnet).
* Bugs fixed:
- UTF-8 characters in user name or password caused a login failure.
- Fix all warnings triggered by running autogen.sh.
- Fix the ZimageZ upload when behind a proxy.
- Fix copying of links in the ZimageZ upload finished dialog.
- Fix 100% CPU usage when selecting a region in a non composited
environment (spotted by Gauvain Pocentek).
- When capturing a window with rounded corners, don't capture the
background of the window but make the screenshot transparent
- Make sure the save folder in the panel plugin preferences is
- Don't show the copy to clipboard option in the application if no
clipboard manager is running as the screenshot won't be preserved after
closing the application anyway in that case.
- Allow xfce4-screenshooter -r to be used as a command for a
- Allow silent build.
- Fix most pre-build warnings.
- Escape screenshots path when opening them with an application.
- Plug some leaks in the application and in the panel plugin.
- Do not accept conflicting CLI options. Warn the user when he uses
CLI options which are not coherent.
- Correctly save preferences, even if the rc file does not exist
- One second is now the minimal delay when using the interactive
mode. This caused the screenshooter dialog to be partially displayed on
the screenshot in some cases.
* A lot of updated translations for the application, the panel plugin
and the documentation. Thanks to the Xfce translation team!
More information about the Xfce