tux-racer from Games menu fails, but the program runs fine from terminal

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:58:31 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:09 PM, David Mohr <squisher at xfce.org> wrote:
> Most menu entries can be found in /usr/share/applications/foo.desktop.
>
> ~David

Thank you. I wondered whether they were set aside somewhere or buried
in a file. This seems quite sensible.

As for the technical problem I made some changes to my xorg.conf file
and now the system acts identically (although not well) whether I call
it from the menu or in a terminal - although I cannot understand why
it wouldn't have before.

My question with XFCE at the moment is whether the operation I see is
expected, an XFCE bug or a VGA driver bug. The system is dual head.
Each monitor is running at its native resolution (1280x1024 and
1680x1050) and each has it's own wallpaper. When I start Tux Racer the
game shows up on both monitors which is a minor annoyance. The bigger
problem for me is when I exit the game both monitors now are the same
and have a mixture of aspect from prior to running the game:

1) Both monitors display the wallpaper that's normally on monitor #2

2) Both monitors display everything (files, launchers, etc.) that was
residing on the monitor #1 desktop

It's fairly mixed up at that point and to get the system back I have
to exit out to the console and then run startx again.

Is this expected or by design? Or is there something in xorg.conf or
XFCE setup that would control this better. I'd like to have the game
run on a single monitor. The other one should either remain as it was
or go black. When I exit the game I want the desktops to look like
they did before I ran the game.

This is my first Linux dual-head so I don't know how any other desktop
manager acts in this regard.

Thanks,
Mark