XFCE starts as root w/o login screen

neismark at gmx.de neismark at gmx.de
Mon Feb 1 11:58:31 CET 2010

Hi guys,

I've been playing with a netbook recently on which a linux distro named
"FoxOS" is installed. Obviously it's Fedora-based, but with XFCE4 as
desktop.

When I boot it, it starts the X-server and runs XFCE4 as root. There's no
login screen. I'd rather use a non-priviledged account (and created on for
that purpose).

So far I've not been able to find out why no login is required. I suppose
the display manager itself should be responsible for this. But there's no
{g,k,x}dm running. I can see that at one point startxfce4 is called, that's
all.

Which part of a "regular" XFCE-setup might be missing? What to change to make XFCE ask for a login?

Grateful for any hints,
Mark

--
For every problem there is a solution that is
simple, neat and wrong