One question I have ...

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Mon Dec 20 16:09:10 CET 2010

On dim., 2010-12-19 at 18:15 -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 21:00 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > On dim., 2010-12-19 at 08:59 +0100, cathayan wrote:
> > > Maybe Xfce can set up a repository for its users to test. I hate compile but
> > > I'd like to try new development.
> >
> > Sorry but “hate compile” doesn't fit really well with “new development”
> > imho. Packages will be provided, at one point.
>
> What are you saying corsac? You don't have enough time to compile
> everything for every sub-release? OMG, how insensitive a clod can you
> be? I mean... wow... just WOW.

To be honest, I /do/ recompile everything, since I'm running the
packages myself. As said above, the packaging is done. But it's still
work in progress, and since Debian is in freeze time, it's not exactly
the moment to push experimental stuff.

> And yes, this is a joke.

No problem :)

> I completely agree that following "bleeding edge" requires a lot more
> than many people are prepared to spend in time and resources. To me...
> your (the Debian developers in general) time and effort go far beyond
> what I could ask for.

The thing is, it's usually useful for projects to have users testing
pre-release (this is the point of having them, after all). But just
testing isn't enough, one should be prepared to face problems, report
bugs etc. This is where it requires some motivation and time :)

Your testing is appreciated anyway :)

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis