eatmonkey keeps segfaulting

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 21:27:09 CEST 2010

Hello Mike
Thanks for answering.

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently I heard about the ability to install flashget on ubuntu[1].
>
> [1] http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-flashget-download-manager-in-ubuntu.html

Hm, I'm not sure. The Wikipedia article [1] isn't very encouraging.
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlashGet#Malware_concerns

Have just tried it, and it works, but it's not my favourite. At the
very least, it strangely throws the systray icon in the middle of the
screen.

>> I am on Debian testing,
> A rhetoric question: why are you on testing? (you should not)

I'm currently on the move to Xubuntu. :) After stints with the rolling
Gentoo and Debian testing, I'm in for some stability; at any rate,
apps that I need recent i'm mostly building from SVN.

>> with ruby-gnome2-dev 0.19.3-2, aria2
>> 1.10.0-2 and eatmonkey 0.1.4. The programme configures and compiles
>> just fine, but segfauls either when starting download or when starting
>> up.
>
> I'm not able to tell you if or not it is easily fixable. Know that the
> 0.1.4 has been released as "final-draft", and I'm not currently
> maintaining it. I have plans which I'm not working on currently, I'm
> mainly waiting for/intending to write a clean xmlrpc client which does
> not exist currently inside libsoup[2].
>
> [2] http://live.gnome.org/LibSoup/ToDo#RPC_Features

I see.

>> debian-liv:/home/liviu# eatmonkey
>> ./eatsettings.rb:52:in `default_values': undefined method `exists?' for
>> Dir:Class (NoMethodError) from ./eatsettings.rb:74:in `parse'
>>        from ./eatsettings.rb:28:in `initialize'
>>        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/singleton.rb:94:in `new'
>>        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/singleton.rb:94:in `instance'
>>        from ./eat.rb:17
>
> This indicates an incompatibility with the installed Ruby version. But
> this could be a poor knowledge of Ruby applications deployment from my
> part. I've tested both Ruby 1.8 and 1.9 however and I had a
> beta-tester regularly giving me feedbacks, in the case of Dir#exists?
> it is defined within compat18.rb. This file is not perfect, anyway, I
> don't intend to fix it, the plan is to write eatmonkey in vala (just
> lacking some features).

I can confirm this issue on Ubuntu, too. But I understand that you
don't maintain this code, so I'll be waiting for the vala version.
Regards
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?