eatmonkey keeps segfaulting

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 20:14:02 CEST 2010

Hi Liviu,

First sorry for the delay.

2010/8/15 Liviu Andronic <landronimirc at gmail.com>:
> Dear all
> After (another) failed search for a download manager that fits my
> tastes, I've (once again) reverted to eatmonkey,

Recently I heard about the ability to install flashget on ubuntu[1].

[1] http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-flashget-download-manager-in-ubuntu.html

> only to find it still
> segfaulting. I very much like its clean interface and would like to
> get it up and going on my system.
>
> I am on Debian testing,

A rhetoric question: why are you on testing? (you should not)

> with ruby-gnome2-dev 0.19.3-2, aria2
> 1.10.0-2 and eatmonkey 0.1.4. The programme configures and compiles
> just fine, but segfauls either when starting download or when starting
> up.

I'm not able to tell you if or not it is easily fixable. Know that the
0.1.4 has been released as "final-draft", and I'm not currently
maintaining it. I have plans which I'm not working on currently, I'm
mainly waiting for/intending to write a clean xmlrpc client which does
not exist currently inside libsoup[2].

[2] http://live.gnome.org/LibSoup/ToDo#RPC_Features

> On a clean start-up (with no config files and after re-install) and
> immediate shutdown initiated with the Quit toolbar button, I'm getting
> the following:
> liviu at debian-liv:~$ eatmonkey
> ["connect"]
> ./eatmanager.rb: line 27
>   Gtk-CRITICAL **:gtk_radio_menu_item_set_group: assertion
> `!g_slist_find (group, radio_menu_item)' failed ["ECONNREFUSED",
> #<Errno::ECONNREFUSED: Connection refused - connect(2)>] ["waiting for
> a first response..."] ["started server",
>  "aria2c --disable-ipv6=true --enable-xml-rpc
> --xml-rpc-listen-port=6801
> --conf-path=/home/liviu/.config/eatmonkey/aria2.conf
> --log=/home/liviu/.config/eatmonkey/aria2.log --log-level=notice
> --dht-file-path=/home/liviu/.config/eatmonkey/dht.dat", 19498] Started
> aria2 XML-RPC Server (pid 19498)... ["shutdown", 19498] ./eat.rb:26:
> [BUG] Segmentation fault ruby 1.8.7 (2010-06-23 patchlevel 299)
> [x86_64-linux]
>
> Aborted

I'm not reproducing this.

> When using the wm to close the app, the shutdown is fine.
[snip-output-log]

Neither.

> However I am more concerned with the following. Using the same  clean
> start-up, trying to download the xubuntu image results in a segfault:
[snip-output-log]

Neither.

> Subsequently, trying to relaunch eatmonkey also results in
> (intermittent) segfaults (presumably because it retries to download):

Neither.

> I cannot start it from root

You don't have to.

> , either.
> debian-liv:/home/liviu# eatmonkey
> ./eatsettings.rb:52:in `default_values': undefined method `exists?' for
> Dir:Class (NoMethodError) from ./eatsettings.rb:74:in `parse'
>        from ./eatsettings.rb:28:in `initialize'
>        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/singleton.rb:94:in `new'
>        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/singleton.rb:94:in `instance'
>        from ./eat.rb:17

This indicates an incompatibility with the installed Ruby version. But
this could be a poor knowledge of Ruby applications deployment from my
part. I've tested both Ruby 1.8 and 1.9 however and I had a
beta-tester regularly giving me feedbacks, in the case of Dir#exists?
it is defined within compat18.rb. This file is not perfect, anyway, I
don't intend to fix it, the plan is to write eatmonkey in vala (just
lacking some features).

> I am attaching my config and log files.
>
> In all, Eatmonkey reliably segfaults when initiating a download. Any
> ideas on what's going wrong?

No.

Regarding the log, I have the same output, the file downloads fine,
although here the ruby-gtk interface doesn't crash.

--
Mike