a terminal without border but color configurable

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Mon Aug 23 17:12:43 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 03:14:37PM +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Manao ahoana, Hello, Bonjour,
>
> Using XFCE4 on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid), I would like:
> - set up my backgroud desktop to black
> - have some kind of backgroup terminals showing informations  I want. A
>   bit like (1)
> - each workspace has its set of background terminals (not the same for
>   all workspaces)
> - the font color of the terminals shoudl be configurable (not too much
>   contrast with the workspace background color)
>
> What are your advice for that?
>
> I have XFCE (& GTK then) installed, dont want huge
> dependencies coming with what I want if possible.
>
> (1)
> http://www.mntnoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/fvwm-mntnoe-2008-08-14-clean.png

I think almost all terminal programs can do this. I use `terminal` and
then in combination with devilspie.

I start the program with e.g.
terminal --geometry=90x45+50+0 --hide-menubar --hide-borders -T Terminal.below
First I start `terminal`, go to "edit", "Preferences", Appearance" and set
the background to transparant and set how transparent I want it. Then run
the program with the parameters I want. The -T parameter is used by
devilspie to keep the program in the background.
devilspie can be used for other settings as well. e.g. you can hide the
terminal from several things and make it unresponsive to mouse and/or keyboard.

For coloring I use ccze:
http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=ccze&baseproject=openSUSE%3A11.3&lang=en
Just `tail -f /var/log/foo /var/log/bar|ccze`. Also you could look at
multitail.

If you just want to have one colour, you could launch the terminal with a
specific PS1 value

houghi
--
For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I
have good luck and write better than I can.