Where are the mouse button actions defined?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sun Aug 22 18:15:46 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 09:07:48AM -0600, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:29:49 +0100
> Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> > > Hello
> > > Some mouse configs can be performed in Settings > Mouse, the Devices
> > > and Behavior themes. I am not familiar with more fine-tuning.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Liviu
> >
> > That does nothing with mouse button assignment (except I suppose the
> > switch from Left Handed to Right Handed).  I want to be able, for
> > example, to set the 'paste' button to be button 8 rather than button 2.
> >

> I know this applies specifically to Ubuntu, but it might get you
> started -
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto

I have been there and while it has some useful information it doesn't
really tell me what I want to know.

*Surely* somewhere in the guts of X in a configuration file somewhere
there must be something that actually maps button numbers to 'Left',
'Right' and 'Middle' and also something that maps actions (like select
text) to button actions like double-click.

I'm going to try switching from Right-Handed to Left-Handed and see
what files change, that *might* give me a clue.

--
Chris Green