XFCE on Qt4

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 12:17:57 CEST 2010

2010/8/18 Николай <robotex.ag at mail.ru>:
> Hello.
>
> Is there a fork of XFCE, written in Qt4? Are somebody developing it?

People behind Xfce are strong users of the GTK+/GLib stack. We like
using the GType system and writing GObjects, and we like doing it in
C. Writting Qt4 means having strong knowledge of C++ which less people
do have, in fact the C language is a lot easier to learn. Most people
started an application or a plugin for Xfce without using the
object-oriented aspect of GLib but just C functions.

Of course I doubt that someone will fork the Xfce desktop. There is
too much GLib involved and ripping it off doesn't make sense except
being a sadomaso who likes to feel the pain of rewriting applications
from one language to another :)

Although, someone did fork the notes plugin to Qt:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/znotes/

Regards
--
Mike