connman plugin needed(Was: XFCE-counterpart of KDE-Networkmanager)

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Fri Aug 6 12:33:07 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:12:40PM -0700, Auke Kok wrote:
> I personally feel strongly about connman being the right approach
> and it certainly requirement and design wise fits perfectly in Xfce.
> I can't see why anyone would want to do a UI for networkmanager
> anymore either...

I am always a believer in choice. For me that means that it should be
AND/AND and not OR/OR.

An interesting read is here:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/06/intels-linux-connman-examining-the-pros-and-conns.ars

One of the reasons I would think that NetworkManager should not be trown
asside is because most ofthe time people will install XFCE as part of a
distribution. If the distribution works with NetworkManager, then it would
be nice to be able to do that in XFCE as well and not use the GNOME
plugin.

That does not mean there should not be a ConnMan way to do things.

That way people have the choice of what they want, as well as give the
distromakers alternatives of what they want to use.

That is unless you mean that nm-applet is the prefered frontend and thus
there does not need to be an XFCE alternative.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: