connman plugin needed(Was: XFCE-counterpart of KDE-Networkmanager)

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri Aug 6 06:23:09 CEST 2010

On 08/04/10 23:43, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On mer., 2010-08-04 at 21:40 -0700, Auke Kok wrote:
>> so, this is a personal call out from me (as MeeGo developer who
>> maintains the xfce4 packages for MeeGo) to the Xfce community to get a
>> connman UI frontend for Xfce4 developed.
>>
>> Anyone interested?
>>
>> This is an excellent starter project. Connman has an extensive dbus API
>> that is well documented and has plenty of good examples and test cases
>> (even in python) available to make something simple and get it working
>> quickly. I can potentially assist if people are interested in taking
>> this up.
>
> I agree this would be nice, but considering the lack of manpower on Xfce
> (core and plugins) at the moment, I'm not sure it's realistic :/

I can pretty much guarantee that a frontend to connmand will be easier
to write than any other frontend... the connman API's won't need extra
dependencies other than glib2/dbus, provide all the networking logic (it
even sets up /etc/hosts.conf and acts as a DNS proxy), so the UI (look
at Moblin2/MeeGo) can be extremely small. You could probably prototype a
wireframe in 10 minutes...

Auke