XFCE-counterpart of KDE-Networkmanager

Al Bogner xfce at ml093.pinguin.uni.cc
Wed Aug 4 13:12:09 CEST 2010

Am Wed, 4 Aug 2010 07:30:34 +0200
schrieb Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com>:

Hi,

> 2010/8/4 Al Bogner <xfce at ml093.pinguin.uni.cc>:
> > Am Tue, 03 Aug 2010 09:43:02 -0400
> > schrieb David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>:
> >
> >> Another option is Gnome's nm-applet.
> >
> > I installed NetworkManager-gnome with Opensuse 11.3. Where is it? I
> > can't find it with Appsfinder.
> >
> > I removed wicd and now the wired-ethernet connection is dead.
>
> Start nm-applet from xfrun4, or from a terminal: nm-applet & disown
> (this will send the process to the background and disown will detach
> it from the terminal).

I did what you said, but I can't see anything on the desktop or in the
panel or in the menu.

** (nm-applet:4929): WARNING **: get_all_cb: couldn't retrieve system
settings properties: (2) The name
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings was not provided by
any .service files.

** (nm-applet:4929): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching
system connections: (2) The name
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings was not provided by
any .service files.

> And after that make also sure it will run when you log into your
> session. Open the settings manager, select Sessions, now in the
> "Autostart" tab you can add/remove applications, if you don't see an
> entry for the nm-applet you can add one. You can also verify that via
> a terminal, a file will be installed inside the directory
> $HOME/.config/autostart.

After a reboot and new login:

ls .config/autostart/
gpk-update-icon.desktop  xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop
hplip-systray.desktop    xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop
nm-applet.desktop        xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop
nm.desktop

cat .config/autostart/nm-applet.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.9.4
Type=Application
Name=nm-applet
Comment=
Exec=/usr/bin/nm-applet
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Hidden=false

> Inside /etc/init.d/ there is a script for NetworkManager, make sure it
> is configured to run (cf. update-rc.d (8) for Debian systems).

Opensuse uses a runlevel-Editor. There is a sevice called network,
which is running.

ps ax | grep nm
 3350 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/nm-applet
 7794 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep nm

It looks like it is running, but I have no idea how to access it.

Al