Menus disappearing.

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Fri Apr 30 02:51:16 CEST 2010

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:16:52 +0200
Lombard Marianne <marianne at tuxette.fr> wrote:

> Le 27/04/2010 16:09, Doug Laidlaw a écrit :
> > On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:46:20 +0200
> > Christoph Wickert<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>  wrote:

> >> I guess you are running Xubuntu, right? Xubuntu doesn't use the
> >> system default menu but a customized one that is generated on the
> >> fly [1] . If the menu plugin crashed, it respawns with the default
> >> menu. Or if you are installing new packages, the menu gets
> >> regenerated which may lead to problems too.
> >>
> >> Please compare which menu file is used when the menu is complete
> >> and when not. This should be the first step to investigate the
> >> problem.

> >> Regards,
> >> Christoph
> >>
> >> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/

> > No, I am not using Xubuntu.  I am running Mandriva 2010 with
> > task-xfce.  A separate Xfce-live version is available, but I am not
> > running that here.
> >
> > Doug.
> >
> I'm using Mandriva with XFCE too and I have seen the same
> comportement but only in cooker (developement version). The missing
> menu entries are reapparing after closing and re-opening the session
> (not suspending).
>
> I hope it will help in diagnostic
>
> Marianne

Thanks Marianne.  I have Cooker installed but not as my main OS.  The
symptoms seem identical to the Xubuntu issue.  It is indeed restored
after logging out and in again.  That too sounds like the Xubuntu cause.

I have a few other minor issues with Xfce, but at first sight, none
seems related to this one, so I will post about them in separate
threads.  I don't want to go back to KDE if I can avoid it.

On second thoughts, if there is a crash happening, every so often I see
Xfce run my CPU at full tilt for about a minute.  That was one of the
things I was going to ask about.  It may be a good opportunity for
something to crash - or it may even be caused by a crash!

Doug.