tint2 and _NET_WM_ICON

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 11:26:59 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Brian J. Tarricone
<brian at tarricone.org> wrote:
> On 09/17/2009 10:29 AM, Philip Newborough wrote:
>> I have been using tint2 [1] and I have a problem [2]. Basically, the
>> tint2 developers think that the best way to resolve the issue would be
>> to contact the Xfce devel team and ask them to set _NET_WM_ICON if no
>> icon is set. Is this correct?
>
> I'd say no.  The WM shouldn't be imposing policy on what the default
> fallback icon for a window is.  All other apps I've seen that use this
> info from windows have their own fallback icon.  You can never guarantee
> that _NET_WM_ICON will be set.
>
>> Thanks for any assistance and apologies if this should have gone to
>> the xfce4-dev list.
>
> Yes, it probably should go to the dev list.  Not sure if the WM author
> reads xfce at .

I do read the ML.

But thre request has no chance to be accepted, NET_WM_ICON has to be
set by the apps, not the window manager. Doing otherwise is 1) not
logic and 2) would introduce a race condition with the application
(whch is supposed to set the property on its window) - So fix the app,
do not break the window manager.

Cheers,
Olivier.